It’s Monday, and as you sift through the mountain of emails that greeted you into the office this morning, why not have some fun, too? We all know the Superbowl dominated sports this weekend; the Broncos are still curled up hiding from Seattle’s Legion of Boom. Catch up on what’s happening in Louisville sports while you were too busy watching Peyton Manning succumb to the dominating Seahawks.
1. Even if you’re not a Seahawks fanatic, a smile can’t help but to creep onto your face as two former University of Louisville Cardinals hold the Lombardi trophy. Breno Giacomini, starting left tackle for Seattle, was drafted out of the Cardinals in the 2008 NFL draft. Gregg Scruggs was snatched up from Louisville in the 2012 NFL draft.
2. On the recruiting trail with Petrino and the Cardinals, landing Trumaine Washington, a three star cornerback, as a commit. After visiting Syracuse and Louisville, Washington officially decided on the Cardinals.
3. Coming off an appearance in the College World Series, University of Louisville pitcher, Nick Burdi, is named among top players at their position at Baseball America’s preseason All-America teams by major league scouting director. Burdi, a junior right-handed pitcher, nabbed the first-team Perfect Game All-American last season. With the opening of the Cardinal’s baseball season at the end of this month, Burdi will no doubt catch more attention.
4. The Lady Cardinals basketball dribble past a major victory against South Florida on Sunday. The 79-59 victory nabbed the Cardinals’ 15th straight win, matching their longest wining streak in school history, which was set in 2006-2007.
5. With the number of sports zealots in River city always growing, the possibility of a bringing back a pro hockey team and establishing a pro soccer club here in Louisville grows. As talks and rumors continue to sift through the press, hockey fans are anxious to be back on the ice while soccer fans can already see the green under stadium lights.