Appalatin came together in 2006 through the members ( Yani Vozos, Marlon Obando, Fernando Moya, Steve Sizemore, Mason Roberts, and Luis de Leon) mutual love for the folk sounds of Latin America and the Caribbean. The blend of upbeat flute shredding and bongo jamming coexists with soothing melodies that put one right in the middle of the tropics no matter what time of year it is. Their influences consist of Silvio Rodriquez, Inti Illimani, Jarabe de Palo, and Old Crow Medicine Show, but personally they remind me of a Latin American Bob Marley. If you like dancing this evening was put together just for you, as the grooves will continue to go forth at Zazoo's with The Junk Yard Dogs. J.Y.D's (Christy O'Connell, Eric Makowski, Anthony Fossaluzza, Van Campbell, Johnny Siegel) started jamming in 2010. Their music exempts an amazing sexy swing vibe that Louisville's music scene not only needs, but is subconsciously thirsty for. Songs like "Truly" and "Burt's Apple Crumble/ Your Heart is In" take one back to a time when cars had rumble seats, movie tickets cost 10 cents, and people had class. Both the Appalatin and Junk Yard Dogs are local names that don't come up in conversation near as much as they should. Hopefully Louisville will see much more from these guys. Please visit their websites to learn how to follow, support, and promote both, Appalatin and Junk Yard Dogs. This event will begin at Zazoo's June 7th, doors open at 8pm, there is a $5 cover, and this is a 21 + event.
I am currently a senior at Indiana University Southeast in pursuit of an English Writing degree. I play guitar and write in the band, Field of Kings, as well as record and perform in many various side projects. Writing and performing has always been my two greatest passions.More from author:
February 17th, 2015
February 20th, 2015
September 26th, 2011
October 25th, 2011
April 10th, 2013
April 26th, 2013
May 24th, 2012
May 29th, 2012
June 5th, 2011
June 8th, 2011
Subscribe to The Weekender, Louisville's weekly guide for where to go and what to do!
Most Read Stories
- Voting for Best of Louisville 2015 is Open!
- Closing Time for 60 West Bistro & Martini Bar
- Where to Go and What to Do This Weekend in Louisville (February 27 - March 1)
- Louisville Snowstorm Deals Huge Blow to ‘An Act of Dog’
- Get Your Game On: 5 Reasons to Attend the Louisville Arcade Expo
- "Roman Citizen" Premiere in Louisville Draws Crowd Despite Oscars
- Staggers Bringing America. The Diner. to Louisville
- Meet Louisville’s Southern Yogi
- 2013 Louisville Area Child Support Arrears List (Deadbeat Parents)
- 2015 Bourbon Classic A Smashing Success