The German-American Club Gesangverein, Inc. was founded in 1878 by Louis Vormbrock at Beck's Hall on Jefferson Street. The fifteen men who met there called themselves the Sozialer Männerchor. They hired Otto Schuler as their first music director and gave their first concert in the gardens of Beck's Hall in June 1879.
In 1884 a Constitution was established and a society flag was designed. Professor Gustav Clausnitzer became music director, a position he held for over two decades. In 1914 the Club hosted the national festival of the North American Singers Union, the largest collection of singers ever to visit Louisville.
In 1937 the Club amended its constitution to admit women as members. The Club moved its first permanent home on Jackson Street in 1942 and changed its name to the Social Male Chorus. In 1964 Urban Renewal forced the Club to relocate to 1840 Lincoln Avenue. The Club was renamed the German-American Club Gesangverein, Inc. in 1993
The Club still strives to promote German culture, holding two concerts a year and many German activities at their club house and also in the city. The main dance hall and club rooms are decorated with German flags and various artifacts. Photographs of various groups who have visited from Germany are proudly displayed. We are proud to be called the German-American Club with Southern Hospitality.
|Where to Go and What to Do This Weekend in Louisville (March 20 - 23)|
|Moon Taxi Crashes into a Full House at Headiners Music Hall|
|Tickets on Sale as Cirque du Soleil brings Michael Jackson to Louisville|
|Va Va Valentine's "Vacation's" sold out opening night gets standing ovation|
|Best Dance Studios in Louisville for Your Kids|
|Take a Va Va -cation this month with Va Va Valentine: Sailing the Seven Seas of LOVE theatrical burlesque|
|Why a College Degree in an Arts Related Field is Practical and Relevant|