DeSales' Garrit Leicht is one of the top players in the city of Louisville. The 6-foot-2 running back is off to a hot start this season. I spoke with DeSales coach Mark Sander about Leicht's game and his recruitment.
Leicht has carried the ball 71 times, for 395 yards and six touchdowns so far this season.
"Garrit's game is high caliber," Sander said. "He is very, very passionate about the game of football. His older brother plays at the University of Louisville, mostly on special teams, and his father play at Army. He is such a special player because of his work ethic in the off season, getting as strong as he could. It definitely shows on Friday nights."
Leicht also plays linebacker for the Colts. He has 38 tackles on the season.
"I see him playing on defense at the linebacker position in college," Sander said. "One that will rush at times . I would not be surprised, with the right offense, if he were to play at an H'back type positon, which is a hybrid of a fullback and a tight end. An everything type of back."
Leicht's play on the field has caught the eye of several colleges.
"Garrit would love to play at a the Division I school, even if it is mid-major," Sander said. "Memphis, Western Kentucky, Ball Sate and Bowling Green showed a lot of interest this past summer from the camps that Garrit attended. At this time, he dose not have a scholarship offer, but I am sold that this young man should receive one."
The Colts are off to a 2-3 start this season. They will enjoy a bye week this week and return to the field on Friday October 1st, to face the Fern Creek Tigers at Fern Creek.
October 15th, 2013
August 8th, 2012
September 26th, 2014
August 10th, 2012
August 13th, 2012
September 16th, 2013
October 25th, 2013
February 4th, 2015
January 29th, 2015
September 5th, 2014
Subscribe to The Weekender, Louisville's weekly guide for where to go and what to do!
Most Read Stories
- Voting for Best of Louisville 2015 is Open!
- Closing Time for 60 West Bistro & Martini Bar
- Where to Go and What to Do This Weekend in Louisville (February 27 - March 1)
- The Ohio River Retains Its Top Spot as Most Polluted River in the Nation
- 2013 Louisville Area Child Support Arrears List (Deadbeat Parents)
- Get Your Game On: 5 Reasons to Attend the Louisville Arcade Expo
- "Roman Citizen" Premiere in Louisville Draws Crowd Despite Oscars
- Meet Louisville’s Southern Yogi
- Local Cafe Seeking Your Help Through Kickstarter
- Chef Maria's Bistro to Open in Old Louisville