The 2007 March of Dimes Signature Chefs Auction
had over 600 people in attendance and raised $215,000 for the organization. The fundraiser
took place on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 in the Grand Ballroom of the Galt House Hotel & Suites, and featured a gourmet sampling feast prepared by 25 of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Louisville
’s best chefs and restaurants.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Culinary awards (judged by Dorothy Letcher, Owsley Brown Frazier and Jenny Carter) given to participants included:
· Best Food Presentation Award – Awarded to The English Grill for the most visually creative food presentation.
· Priceless Package Award – Awarded to Bourbons Bistro for providing the most unique and creative auction package.
· Triple Crown Award – Awarded to The Jefferson Club for having the best food presentation, gourmet delicacy and auction package combination.
· Louisville’s Finest - Judges' Favorite – Awarded to Levy Restaurants at Churchill Downs for going above and beyond all the others in either food presentation, gourmet delicacy or auction package.
· People’s Choice – awarded to Chef Jay Denham of Park Place on Main. This was voted on by the attendees at Signature Chefs.
Twenty-five local chefs and restaurants were featured as “Signature Chefs.” Lead Chef Gil Logan of Levy Restaurants at Churchill Downs was joined by Ambassador Chef Todd Richards of The Oakroom at The Seelbach Hilton Hotel, Chef Anthony Lorie of Amerigo, Chef Allen Heintzman of Artemisia, Chef Timothy Welborn of Atrium Cafe Embassy Suites Hotel Louisville East, Chef Chip Lawrence of Avalon, Chef Brian Hove of Blu Italian Mediterranean Grille – Marriott Louisville, Chef Michael J Crouch of Bourbons Bistro, Chef Greg Johnson of Buck’s, Chef Jayson Lewellyn of Jeff Ruby’s, Chef Jim Gerhardt of Limestone Restaurant, Chef Anthony Lusiak of Maker's Mark Bourbon House & Lounge, Chef David Frye of Martini Italian Bistro, Chef Edward Nolan of Mitchell's Fish Market, Chef Jay Denham of Park Place on Main, Chef Robert Lafever of Pendennis Club, Chef John Plymale of Porcini, Chef Michael Paley of Proof on Main, Chef Tim Baker of RIVUE, Chef Laurent Geroli of The English Grill, Mr. Michael Reidy of The Irish Rover, Chef Marcus Heindseiman of The Jefferson Club, Chef John Varanese of Varanese, Chef Justin Diglia of Vincenzo’s Italian Restaurant and Chef Joshua Moore of Volare.
Live and silent auctions helped with fundraising efforts by raising over $86,000.
The March of Dimes is a national voluntary health agency whose mission is to improve the health of babies by preventing birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality. Founded in 1938, the March of Dimes funds programs of research, community services, education, and advocacy to save babies and in 2003 launched a campaign to address the increasing rate of premature birth. For more information, visit the March of Dimes Web site at www.marchofdimes.com or its Spanish language Web site at nacersano.org. The local March of Dimes chapter is located at 4802 Sherburn Lane in Louisville and can be reached at (502) 895-3734 or www.marchofdimes.com/kentucky.