Though the temps outside are reflective of deep fried Oreos, Kool-Aid and Perrier (soon) than burning leaves, shorter days and the World Series, this is the perfect time to prepare your wardrobe for the Autumn/Winter 2013 season. Whether you intend to shop your closet or Plato’s Closet (three in Louisville and Clarksville, Ind., if you’re curious), allow Louisville.com to provide a few inspirations for when the dog days of summer finally give way to the cooling winds of autumn.
1. Emerald: The Pantone 2013 Color of the Year: The leaves may turn gold, red, orange and violet prior to landing upon the paved roads of Cherokee Park, but it doesn’t have to mean that the only green to look forward to is that of the Christmas trees that seem to pop up earlier and earlier each passing year. From dresses to prints to accessories, there is something about this jewel tone for all to consider.
2. The Few, The Proud, The Fashionistas: The militaristic look is still going seasons after its introduction, though it is now converging with nautical looks for a more naval style this autumn/winter season. Wool trench coats, epaulettes, cuffed pants, tough equestrian boots and more are sure to please, whether you’re riding in a convoy to the outlet mall, or setting sail with your shipmates along the Ohio.
3. Hot off the Printing Press: Channeling your inner leopard, tiger or snake? Feeling geometric? Desiring to look art-damaged? There is a print out there for you. Alongside animal, floral and digital-appearing designs, camo, art, and even newsprint are just some of the newest options available to take your ensemble to the next level.
4. Menswear is the New Womenswear: Tweed, argyle, plaid, all were once the domain of tenured English professors who drove MGBs and 911s. This season, the collegiate look has been reinterpreted for womenswear in time for feeling like you attend the University of Louisville or Bellarmine University (if you already aren’t a student, that is).
5. Hell Bent for Leather: What will Rob Halford, the Sons of Anarchy, and you have in common when the nights grow longer? Pants, jackets, skirts, dresses and more will make your closet metal, blacker than the blackest black times infinity. If that seems a bit much, there are pieces that do have leather mixing it up with other fabrics to soften the edges.
Should you want to add to your collection this weekend after shopping your closet, local boutiques such as Rodes, Glasscock, Clodhoppers, and Monkee’s are just some of your best bets to make. And as always, dress for your body first, no matter the trend du jour.
|Slither into style during the Year of the Black Water Snake|
|Look fabulous as Cards Nation celebrates Louisville's victory over the Gators|
|Trends From Fashion Week SS13: Prints Galore [Fashion]|
|Go back to style this school year|
|Brighten your rainy-day style no matter how gray the day is|
|Make your closet metal with a bit of leather this spring|
|A guide to looking fabulous for Super Bowl XLVII|