There is a major new progressive movement afoot... but whether Kentucky's progressives speak up to help shape it remains to be seen.
Rebuild the Dream is a new movement born of the realization in Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, and elsewhere that the American Dream is being attacked and apathy is no longer an option. Millions of people are coming together to save it.
Numerous organizations have come out in support of the movement including MoveOn.org, the AFL-CIO, Color of Change, the League of Young Voters, the Congressional Progressive Caucus, Change to Win, Faithful America, AFSCME, AARP, the American Federation of Teachers, Campus Progress, Common Cause, Democracy for America, the Center for Media and Democracy, Democrats.com, the Daily Kos, Jobs with Justice, Living Liberally, Media Matters, the NAACP, the National Council of La Raza, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, Organizing for America, PCCC, Public Citizen, US Action, US Uncut, and dozens of other organizations.
There are three things Kentuckians can do to get involved and more are on the way.
- Host a "House Party" the weekend of July 16th / 17th. It is easy, fun, a great way to meet like-minded people, will be a critical step in developing a progressive economic strategy, and there is lots of organizational support available. The movement is striving to have at least one house party in every congressional district in the country.
- Attend a "House Party". There are several already scheduled in Kentucky and more coming. Find one near you!
- Contribute and vote on ideas that will create jobs NOW.
Van Jones (remember Van Jones -- he was savagely maligned by Glenn Beck and forced to leave the Obama administration) is a key point person in this movement and his introduction is quite compelling.
Full Disclosure: The author is a volunteer organizer for MoveOn.org.
- American Dream Movement
- Campus Progress
- Change to Win
- Color of Change
- Common Cause
- Democracy for America
- Faithful America
- Jobs with Justice
- Living Liberally
- Media Matters
- Organizing for America
- Public Citizen
- the American Federation of Teachers
- the Center for Media and Democracy
- the Congressional Progressive Caucus
- the Daily Kos
- the League of Young Voters
- the NAACP
- the National Council of La Raza
- the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- US Action
- US Uncut
- Van Jones