- "Mayor Greg Fischer’s office promised to promote the names of Louisville Metro Council members on banners and in print and radio ads in exchange for contributions from their taxpayer-funded discretionary accounts to this weekend’s WorldFest celebration — a practice one member calls 'incredibly distasteful.'" [Courier-Journal]
- "Three judges on a Kentucky Court of Appeals panel harshly challenged a lawyer for the Jefferson County Public Schools who contended during a hearing Wednesday that parents don't have the right under state law to send their children to neighborhood schools. The judges did not issue a ruling, but after two hours of bruising oral arguments, lawyers for parents suing the district were optimistic that the stinging questions from the judges meant the panel would overturn a 2010 lower-court ruling and toss out the district's controversial student assignment plan." [Courier-Journal]
- "Maine, Alaska, Oklahoma, Kentucky and Nevada, ranked at the top for divorces, while Utah, Wyoming and Arkansas – which had the highest marriage rates – were also higher than average in marital breakups. New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York ranked among the lowest in divorces."[Huffington Post via Page One Kentucky]
- "All Louisville Orchestra concerts scheduled for September and October have been canceled.
The season was set to begin September 10. But orchestra management sent out a notice of the cancellations Wednesday evening, citing an impasse with the musicians over a contract for the next season. The two sides are in mediation with the Louisville Labor Management Committee and will meet with Mayor Greg Fischer later this week to try to work out a deal." [WFPL]
- "The public now has access to new digital educational resources through iTunes. 'Kentucky on iTunes U' is a joint effort between the University of Kentucky, Kentucky Educational Television (KET) and the Kentucky Department of Education (KDE). Users can download free educational resources on a Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone or iPod." [WFPL]
Photo courtesy of: http://www.fox41.com/story/13870651/mayor-greg-fischer-attending-us-conference-of-mayors