By Josh Cook
It was super upset Saturday on Day 3 of the men's NCAA Tournament
with overall top seed Kansas tumbling to Northern Iowa.
Here is a quick look at the winners and losers of the day.
- Not only did the Wildcats record another lopsided victory full of 'SportsCenter' worthy highlights, the tournament's top-seeded team, Kansas, was upset. That clears the way for UK, the tournament's No. 2 seed, to go all the way...Cat fans hope. UK certainly looked the part in its big win over Wake Forest. (Meanwhile the UK's women team won its first round NCAA Tournament game thanks to a career-high 32 points from Louisville's own Adia Mathies).
- The Panthers pulled off the biggest tournament shocker since 11th-seeded George Mason beat No. 1 seed Connecticut in the 2006 Elite Eight by beating the top-seeded Jayhawks 69-67.
- The conference that many said only deserved one team in the
Big Dance improved to 3-0 in the tourney as 11th-seeded Washington upset third-seeded New Mexico 82-64 to earn a spot in the Sweet 16.
- The Blue Devils didn't even play Saturday, but their road to the Final Four looks pot-hole free after Villanova, the No. 2 seed in the South, was upset by St. Mary's.
- The senior center, who was likely anonymous to many before the tourney started, was a one-man-wrecking-crew (32 points, seven rebounds) in the Gaels' upset of Villanova.
- Another year, another disappointment for a Jayhawks team that was sure to cut down the nets. Three times they have now lost in the second round of the Big Dance when they were a No. 1 seed.
- The former Indiana schoolboy hero still looks the same as he did in 1987 (when he led the Hoosiers to the national title), but his New Mexico team just didn't have the game.
- A team that was at one time considered to be a major title contender capped off its sputtering down the stretch with its loss to St. Mary's. The Wildcats went 3-6 after Valentine's Day. Heart-breaking for Villanova fans.
- The 13th-seeded Racers gave fifth-seeded Butler all it wanted in San Jose, but they couldn't even get off a shot in the final 15 seconds and their Cinderella glass slipper was shattered.
You may also enjoy: NCAA Tournament: Day 2 good, bad & ugly