While the weather is still stuck in winter and every Louisvillian is itching for spring sunshine, Louisville sports this weekend convinced us we could get out there and hit the game winning shot too. What a great feeling, watching from the couch. If you were too busy soaking up the glimpse of sunshine this weekend to follow Louisville sports, Louisville.com has your back, like a true teammate.
1. We followed headlines as Marcus Smith, Damian Copeland, Teddy Bridgewater, Preston Brown and Calvin Pryor participated in the NFL Combine this weekend. As the Cardinals crashed into the Combine, the former University of Louisville players made the name formerly on their jersey proud. Mike Mayock, NFL Network analyst, said in a conference call Calvin Pryor is worthy of a top ten pick.
2. Louisville women wow in front of a crowd against Rutgers. Coming off an appearance in the NCAA national championship game last year, the lady Cardinals have proved they are here to shake things up…again. With over 14,000 fans watching the two top 25 teams clash, the Cardinals came up on top with a final score of 73-58. The Cardinal win ended Rutger’s five game winning streak.
3. University of Louisville students chanting, “TEDDY, TEDDY, TEDDY”, still rings throughout Papa Johns Stadium. Bridgewater, as Louisvillians, we hope you can still hear our cheers at the NFL combine in Indianapolis. Bridgewater said at the Combine Saturday, “Football is everything to me. I have such a passion for it, I can’t even describe it. I eat, sleep and breathe football.” Teddy, your passion is inspiring.
4. If you missed Russ Smith’s game winning shot from Saturday, go watch it. And then after you get back from the gym, trying to become the next Michael Jordan, chug a Gatorade because you know it is in you, Cardinal spirit that is, anyways. Smith’s 18-foot jumper with 2.2 seconds left on the game clock winning the game against the Cincinnati Bearcats sent Cardinal fans into a fanatic frenzy. The final score of No. 11 Cardinals defeat No. 7 Cincinnati 58-57.
5. 20 days left until Selection Sunday kick-starts a month of uber competitive Kentuckians being taken over by bracketology. Still singing last year’s NCAA March Madness ad with Muse’s “Madness,” we prepare for the ma-ma-ma-madness to arrive.
|The NBA Expansion To Louisville Buzz|
|Four Things You Missed While March Madness Took Over|
|5 Things to know about Louisville Sports on this Monday, Feb. 17|
|Lady Cards Roll Over the Bobcats|
|Kentucky Athletic Hall of Fame Celebrates 50 Years|
|Fort Larned wins Stephen Foster in impressive fashion|
|Downs After Dark returns to Churchill Downs for action-packed Saturday night|