Brightside’s fall compost sale and fundraiser will be held Saturday, November 9, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Outer Loop Recycling and Disposal Facility, 2673 Outer Loop.
Waste Management of Kentucky is generously donating the compost to Brightside. Proceeds from the compost sale will benefit Brightside’s community education and beautification efforts.
Fees are $2.50 per bag, or $30 per scoop. Discount coupons are available at www.brightsideinc.org. Compost is available on a first-come, first-served basis while supply lasts. Arrive early to ensure you are able to purchase!
Compost is an excellent resource for protecting plants and adding organic matter to enrich the soil to enhance stronger, healthier plant material in the spring. The compost was created from leaves, grass clippings, and other yard waste and has been screened to eliminate debris.
Brightside’s sale – a great value – helps meet the high demand for compost in the fall to prepare trees, gardens and landscape areas for the spring.
Residents are encouraged to use alternatives to plastic bags for yard waste disposal this fall. Collected yard waste is used to create compost, and plastic bags don’t decompose. Half of the city’s compost is unusable because it has too much plastic.
Below are options to consider. Using alternatives creates more usable compost and saves landfill space.
• Reduce the amount of yard waste by using a mulching lawn mower and/or creating your own compost bin.
• Use a regular trash can, clearly labeled for “yard waste”.
• Use paper bags available at most hardware and grocery stores.
Contact Brightside at 574-2613 for more information. www.brightsideinc.org
- Outer Loop Recycling and Disposal Facility
- 2673 Outer LoopLouisville, KY 40219
- Saturday 9th, November 2013
- 8:00 AM — 2:00 PM
- Fees are per bag, or $30 per scoop