The 8th Annual National Jug Band Jubilee is coming to the Brown-Forman Amphitheater in Waterfront Park on Saturday, September 15th, Noon-11p.m.
This free, all-day festival celebrates a pre-jazz style made popular in the early 1900s by Louisville musicians like Clifford Hayes, Earl McDonald and Sarah Martin. In the late 19th century, African American musicians walked the streets of the River City playing tunes on improvised instruments like empty liquor jugs ("the poor man’s tuba"), kazoos and washboards.
The National Jug Band Jubilee draws musicians from all over the country. The 2012 line-up includes:
• The Crow Quill Night Owls – Port Townsend, WA
• The Cincinnati Dancing Pigs – Cincinnati, OH
• The Juggernaut Jug Band – Louisville, KY
• Stalebread Scottie & Blind Boy Chocolate – Asheville, NC
• Jackson Street Polecats – Oshkosh, WI
• The Hot Seats – Richmond, VA
• The Jake Leg Stompers – Murfreesboro, TN
• Woody Pines – Nashville, TN
• The How Long Jug Band – Portland, OR
The festival will also include food vendors, a beer and wine booth, and a number of workshops for adults and children.
The 8th Annual National Jug Band Jubilee is proud to celebrate the legacy of jug music and its Louisville origins. Come out and join the fun! Festival gates open at noon Saturday and bands play from1:00-11:00pm.
The open-air Brown-Forman Amphitheater is located immediately east of the Tumbleweed Restaurant on River Road. No pets, coolers or outside alcohol permitted inside the festival. This event takes place rain or shine!
Oh and did we mention that this is a FREE festival? That’s right – FREE!
- Brown-Forman Amphitheater
- 1301 River Road Louisville, KY 40202
- Saturday 15th, September 2012
- 12:00 AM — 11:55 PM