If for no other reason, you have to appreciate the Hangover Classic 10K run for its tongue-in-cheek playfulness.
The annual New Year’s Day road race takes the attitude that there is no better time to start keeping New Year’s resolutions that the early part of January 1st, and offers those promising to stay in shape an opportunity to make rubber meet road right out of the gate.
The truth of the matter is that a race of this caliber is primarily only interesting to dedicated, hardcore runners - people who plan in advance to do a 10-mile road race the morning after the biggest party night of the year .
If you are not one of these select, the Hangover Classic will most affect you with related road closures.
Below, see a list of where to tread carefully if you happen to be out in the first half of Saturday morning:
The following streets will be closed during the following times (cross traffic will be allowed to proceed when the route is clear of runners and walkers):
9:45 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
• River Road from Indian Hills Trail to Zorn Avenue
10:00 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
• Zorn Avenue from River Road to Louisville Water Company
10:00 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
• River Road from Zorn Avenue to Edith Road
10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
• Edith Road from River Road to Mellwood Avenue
10:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
• Mellwood Avenue from Edith Road to Brownsboro Road
• Brownsboro Road from Mellwood Avenue to Story Avenue
• Story Avenue from Brownsboro Road to Spring Street
• Ramp from eastbound Interstate 64 onto Story Avenue
10:15 a.m. to Noon
• Cabel Street from Story Avenue to Washington Street
• Washington Street from Cabel Street to Hancock Street
• Hancock Street from Washington Street to Franklin Street
• Franklin Street from Hancock Street to Campbell Street
• Campbell Street from Franklin Street to Adams Street
• Adams Street from Campbell Street to Witherspoon Street
• Witherspoon Street from Adams Street to River Road
10:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
• River Road from Witherspoon Street to Zorn Avenue
Photo courtesy of MorgueFile