by Holly Freeland
Next September 19-21, the eyes of the golf world will desc/files/storyimages/upon our great city of
But, an event like the Ryder Cup requires a long time in preparation and a great deal of organization. Announced on December 8, 2000 that
1. Why was
2. In terms of preparations for the event, what special things needed to be done? A few changes were made to the course such as reshaping greens, lengthening holes and clearing trees for spectator visibility. A number of changes were also made to create space for parking, corporate villages, merchandise tents, etc.
3. With the Cup less than a year away, what are your biggest challenges from this point on? Our biggest challenges at this point are going to revolve around the planning for the building and the operations of the event. This includes everything from scheduling 3,500 volunteers to building access roads on the course to determining where signage will go out on the course. It’s a huge undertaking. We are lucky in that we have had such an overwhelming response to our volunteer and corporate hospitality programs so a lot of the front /files/storyimages/work is already done.
4. What have you found to be the most impressive part of
5. How familiar will both the European and US teams be to the course? As
6. Outside of the Ryder Cup, what are your thoughts about
Ticket Availability at this point? SOLD OUT with the exception of limited Corporate Hospitality opportunities.
2. Hotel Accommodations? Extremely limited.
3. Tips for travelers or fans? Make your plans early and enjoy an incredible week!
4. How many people do you all expect to have over the 6-day period? Approximately 40,000/day. A Ryder Cup is a once in a lifetime event for most people so, if someone has the opportunity to attend, they’re coming!
5. If people want to see part of the action, do you have any suggestions or tips for them? A lot of the local bars will be sponsoring events during the week. Ryder Cup is a lot like March Madness. There’s so much action going on at one time and the momentum of the matches can change at any minute. There’s nothing like getting together with friends to cheer on your favorite team!