Tuesday at noon, a handful of leftists calling themselves “Occupy Louisville” will pretend to "occupy" a small patch of green space at 5th Street and West Main, on Louisville's Belvedere, in support of those who have been doing the same on Wall Street for several weeks now. This is apparently unrelated to the famous “Keep Louisville Weird ” campaign.
On its Facebook page , Occupy Louisville presents its raison d'être: “We the people have found our voice! We are the 99%! Louisville, Kentucky stands with the rest of the nation in solidarity with those occupying Wall St. We are here to unite with the rest of the nation in peaceful, non-partisan, leaderless protest against the monied corruption of our democracy.”
The local group has “expressed solidarity” with the “proposed demands ” of the Occupy Wall Street folks:
- Eliminate free trade, to be replaced by tariffs on all imported goods.
- Raise the minimum wage to twenty dollars per hour.
- Institute a universal single payer healthcare system. All private insurers must be banned from the healthcare market.
- Guaranteed living wage income regardless of employment.
- Free college education.
- Bring the fossil fuel economy to an end while at the same bringing the alternative energy economy up to energy demand.
- One trillion dollars in infrastructure (Water, Sewer, Rail, Roads and Bridges and Electrical Grid) spending now.
- One trillion dollars in ecological restoration planting forests, reestablishing wetlands and the natural flow of river systems and decommissioning of all of America's nuclear power plants.
- Racial and gender equal rights amendment.
- Open borders migration. Anyone can travel anywhere to work and live.
- Return to the use of hand-counted paper ballots in all elections.
- Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period.
- Outlaw all credit reporting agencies.
- Card check to replace secret balloting in union elections.
This list of demands was promulgated by a gentleman named Lloyd J. Hart, of Martha’s Vinyard, Mass., who promises: “These demands will create so many jobs it will be completely impossible to fill them without an open borders policy.”
Our fellow Arena writer Keith Rouda, in a piece last week  about Occupation Louisville, predicted: “If the ‘occupation’ persists on Wall Street, and if it takes hold in Louisville, and Denver, and Houston, and Columbus, and Boston, and Seattle, and Tampa, and Minneapolis... the establishment will eventually be forced to compromise.”
Don’t count on it, Keith.
The London Daily Telegraph reports:
Louisville.com's The Arena section features opinions from active participants in the city's politics. Their viewpoints are not those of Louisville.com (a website is an inanimate object and, as such, has no opinions).