Celebrity jockeys Julien Leparoux, John Velazquez, Robby Albarado, Rajiv Maragh and James Graham worked the bar, pouring Breeders' Cup specialty cocktails like Down the Stretch and the Grey Goose Zenyatta. They donated their tips, which were as high as $500, to the charity.
Mayor Greg Fischer arrived at the invitation-only event around 9 p.m. A testament to the jockeys' bartending abilities, I decided I was not in a position to introduce myself to him. Next time, Mr. Mayor, next time.
Should you not have a celebrity jockey available at home to pour your cocktails for you—they might be busy this weekend—here are the recipes:
Down the Stretch
- 1.5 parts Grey Goose Le Citron
- 3 parts sweetened ice tea
- 0.5 part lime juice
- 1/3 part sugar syrup
- 0.5 part Chambord Raspberry Liquor
- Fill a cocktail shaker with all of the ingredients.
- Shake vigorously and strain.
- Serve in a highball glass with cubed ice and garnish with lemon, mint, and raspberry
Grey Goose Zenyatta Cocktail
- 1 ¼ oz. Grey Goose Le Citron
- 2 ½ oz. Simply Pink Lemonade
- Fill serving glass with ice and pour in Le Citron and pink lemonade.
- Garnish with a mint sprig.
Photo: Zach Everson