Last month the draft version of Sustain Louisville was released and Louisville residents have the month of February to review the report and provide feedback before the report is finalized in March.
What is Sustain Louisville, you ask?
Sustain Louisville is a plan that lays out a comprehensive plan for making Louisville more environmentally friendly. The plan consists of 19 goals and 60 initiatives divided into six sections:
- Community; and
Said Mayor Greg Fischer, “This plan has been developed with thoughtful input from city and community leaders under the leadership of Maria Koetter, Louisville Metro’s sustainability director. But this plan is still a draft. We need to hear from the public. The environment belongs to all of us -- and this plan ultimately belongs to all 750,000 citizens.”
I went out and looked at the report and the stated objectives are to decrease the city’s carbon footprint; create a culture of sustainability; and to improve the health, well-being and prosperity of all who live here. Some of the suggestions on the ways these things can be achieved are things like:
- Achieving 90% recycling participation rates;
- Decrease energy use by city-owned buildings by 30%;
- Increase access to healthy food by 20%;
- Expand green incentives and encourage innovation;
- Replace and reforest parks; and
- Increase community outreach and education programs.
This list is by no means complete. There are many, many more initiatives listed in Sustain Louisville.
This is why Mayor Fischer wants your opinions. What topics speak to you more? Which goals do you think are most achievable? What are the most important issues we need to tackle as a city to make Louisville the best Louisville it can be?
We all have until February 28th to read and provide feedback on the draft plan.
- Send your comments using the following methods:
- On Twitter, respond to @sustainlou
- Post a comment on the Facebook page for Sustain Louisville
- Email comments to firstname.lastname@example.org 
- Written comments can be mailed to:
Maria Koetter, Director of Sustainability
Louisville Metro Government
444 S. 5th Street
Louisville, KY 40202
- Attend the public input forum that is scheduled for Wednesday, February 20, 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. at the Jefferson Community Technical College Health Sciences Building, 110 W. Chestnut Street
The full report is available for download at www.louisvilleky.gov/sustainability . Hard copies are also available at the circulation desk of the Main Library at 301 York Street.
As citizens, we often share a common complaint that our government doesn’t care about our opinions and acts without seeking our input. This is an instance in which our feedback is welcome and has even been requested. Let’s take advantage of this opportunity to have our voices be heard. Let’s all help Sustain Louisville.
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock/Mopic