Squeeze, stack or otherwise make room on your bookshelves: The Friends of the Louisville Free Library's Spring Book Sale  starts Friday, June 7. Fans of the sale will want to take advantage of this Members Only Preview Night from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. That's when the selection is best and the number of shoppers is sometimes lighter. Not a member? Not to worry: You can purchase a membership  at the door. Individual memberships are $15 and family memberships are $30. Early entrance to the book sale is just one perk - you'll also get invitations to other special events, and more.
Saturday, June 8, the sale is open to the public from 9:00 to 5:00, and Sunday's sale, from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m., will probably include special last-day sales. Hint: If your knees become weak at the thought of bringing home boxes and bags of books for a couple of bucks, you need to block out Sunday afternoon for this sale.
You'll find everything from cookbooks to art to history to fiction, and quite possibly some collectibles as well. Around 70 percent of the books have been donated, and the remaining 30 percent are books removed from Jefferson County library shelves, for various reasons (extra copies in circulation or new versions available, for example).
Adult hardbacks $2
Oversized Paperbacks $1
Paperbacks and Children’s Books 2 / $1
Audio / Video/ Books-on-Tape $2 each
The Friends' Sandra Murphy told me that the fundraising goal for the Spring book sale is $20,000 to $25,000, which goes directly toward support of the LFPL's summer reading program. The Spring book sale is a great opportunity to see the Friends organization in action. They're a dedicated and fun group, and if you become inspired by all the book and library love this weekend, they'll be happy to share information on volunteering with them for upcoming events and projects.
The Spring Sale will be held at the South Louisville Community Center located at 2911 Taylor Boulevard.
Photo: Kachina Shaw