Our nominee for greatest Irish ballad is “Mother Machree,” written in 1910 by Chauncey Olcott and Ernest R. Ball, with lyrics by Rida Johnson Young. If, after a couple of Bushmills, this tune fails to bring a tear to your eye, you are not a true son of Erin.
Subscribe to The Weekender, Louisville's weekly guide for where to go and what to do!
Most Read Stories
- Dressed for Derby Day 141
- Loop 22: How a Fallen Restaurant Represents the Rise of Louisville’s Restaurant Scene
- The Outfits of Oaks Day 141
- Essential Louisville: Where to Buy a Last Minute Derby Hat
- Essential Louisville Hometown Bars 2015
- Eight Options for Mother's Day [Food & Dining]
- Where to Go and What to Do Derby Week 2015 in Louisville
- Kentucky Derby parties: A rundown [Kentucky Derby]
- Essential Louisville Bourbon Bars
- Foxhollow Farm Boasts Great Lineup For Concert Series