The Boat of the Ball this past Tuesday was the Belle of Louisville, as our local girl was crowned winner of the 2012 Great Steamboat Race. Growing up on the banks of the Mississippi, and having traveled across the Ohio river many times, I realized that there was a major river in every city I had ever lived and I had never actually taken a ride on an actual riverboat. The breeze wafting gently off the lazy river, water gently lapping of the bow, and what Mark Twain moment on the mighty river powered only by unpredictable currents and heated water would be complete without a day of jousting, obstacles, tossing monkey fist tossing, and VIP retrieval.
Subscribe to The Weekender, Louisville's weekly guide for where to go and what to do!
Most Read Stories
- Dressed for Derby Day 141
- Loop 22: How a Fallen Restaurant Represents the Rise of Louisville’s Restaurant Scene
- The Outfits of Oaks Day 141
- Essential Louisville: Where to Buy a Last Minute Derby Hat
- Essential Louisville Hometown Bars 2015
- Eight Options for Mother's Day [Food & Dining]
- Where to Go and What to Do Derby Week 2015 in Louisville
- Kentucky Derby parties: A rundown [Kentucky Derby]
- Essential Louisville Bourbon Bars
- Foxhollow Farm Boasts Great Lineup For Concert Series