Just like the clothes it features, Margaret's Consignment and Collectibles (2700 Frankfort Ave.) is a Louisville classic. Though not the oldest consignment store in Louisville, Margaret's has been in business since 1991 and offers one of the widest selections of sizes (including a petites section, most importantly to me) and other items in town.
Consignment shopping is a great alternative to mall shopping for many reasons.
- It is economical--you can find great brands and quality clothing at a great price.
- Upscale consignment stores only accept clothes that are in great condition.
- Consignment clothes are environmentally friendly - you are not using the resources to create a new product or discarding something old. As the old saying goes, "reduce, reuse, recycle."
- The stores are generally local so you are not only supporting the local economy, but your clothes will not have the fuel impact of being shipped across the country (or from China).
- Finally, you can find some great items and create your own style - instead of imitating an outfit directly off of a mannequin, you will have much more fun picking items and creating an outfit from pieces from different decades.
Photo: Courtesy Margaret's Consignment