This week is Derby Week. The one week of the year that pretty much every citizen in the city is partying in some way, shape, or form.
Why should the little ones be any different?
This week, there are some events that can be enjoyed as a family.
- The Kroger Fest-a-Ville on the Waterfront is going on now until Friday, May 3. This venue has something for everyone and features the Pegasus Play-Ville for children. Admission to the Fest-a-Ville if is free with a KY Derby Pegasus Pin but there is an additional charge for the Play-Ville.
- HappyTail Hour at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville at Waterfront Park will be happening Monday, April 29, from 5:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. This pet-friendly event is courtesy of metro Animal Services and the Louisville Waterfront Development Corporation. Reminder: all pets must be on a leash!
- The Anthem Blue Cross & Blue Shield Healthy Lifestyle Showcase occurs on April 30 from 5:00 p.m-9:00 p.m. in the South Wing C of the KY Exposition Center. Held in conjunction with the Republic Bank Parade Preview Party, the Showcase will offer health screening, information on healthy lifestyles and there will be an opportunity to donate blood for those interested. Admission is free with a 2013 Derby Festival Pegasus pin. Parking at the KY Exposition Center is $8.
- Wednesday, May 1, is the Great Steamboat Race. Tickets to ride on the Belle of Louisville or the Belle of Cincinnati are available but for those on a budget, or nervous about having small children running around on a boat, the race is viewable from the riverfront. The race begins at 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, May 2, is the Pegasus Parade at 5:00 p.m. This year’s theme is, “Now, That’s Entertainment!” The parade spans 17 blocks and lasts approximately two hours. This year’s grand marshals will the University of Louisville’s men’s and women’s basketball teams.
So, if you and your family find yourselves with a little bit of Derby Fever this week, be sure to check out some of the events.
For more information visit Kentucky Derby Festival .
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock/makieni