The Kentucky State Fair officially began yesterday. It runs August 14-24, daily from 9am-9pm. Each night the midway, rides, and tents are open later. See this bulleted list for tips, ideas, and insider information about heading to the Kentucky State Fair with children of all ages.
- Download the KSF App for quick information at the tips of your fingers; it works for iPhone, Blackberry, and Android. It has a live Twitter feed, and information for quick retrieval about parking, directions, a schedule and a fair map.
- Head to the official Facebook and Twitter pages of the Kentucky State Fair. They update daily and may be able to answer questions from fair-goers as well. Share your photos and your good times here (use hashtag #kystatefair)!
- Click here for a link to the Basic Info section of the website.
Tickets/Admission Cost at the Gate
- Adults: $10, Child (3-12): $6, Senior (55+): $6, Infants 2 and under are free
- Gates open at 7am; exhibits open at 9am. Midway and tents close at midnight; the exhibit halls close at 9pm Sunday-Thursday and 10pm Friday and Saturday. Some areas do close early on the last day of the fair, Sunday, August 24.
- Available onsite at the Kentucky Expo Center, cost is $8
- On the website, there is a link to each day’s “Today at the Fair”- it’s recommended that you download each one depending on which day you plan to attend. It outlines exactly what is happening each day; they are also available for pick up at any yellow information booth located throughout the fair. Here are the links for each day of this weekend:
- Friday, August 15
- Saturday, August 16
- Sunday, August 17
Kids Entertainment and Special Areas
These areas will be especially interesting to families and those with younger children
- Kentucky Pioneer Homestead
- War Commemorations
- Main Street KY
- Pride of the Counties
- Gourmet Garden
- Heritage Hall
- Balloon Masters
- Discovery Farm
- Freddy Farm Bureau
- Children’s Coloring Mural
- Giant Corn Maze
- Kidz Biz
- Monday, August 18-Military Monday - Discount Day for active duty and veterans' families with ID
- Tuesday, August 19 – Senior’s Day - $1 admission before 6 PM
- Wednesday, August 20 – Early Bird Discount by NOON
- Thursday, August 21 – Farm Bureau Day
- Sunday, August 24 – Last Blast
This Louisville Family Fun link has a ton of great info with tips and reviews from past years. Have fun heading out to the 11 day celebration of history, heritage, and culture highlighting our great Bluegrass state.
Photo courtesy of Kentucky State Fair, Facebook