The Louisville Film Arts Institute Inc. (LFAI) invites visual artists to enter designs for a poster to be used to promote the first annual Louisville’s International Festival of Film (LIFF). The winning design will receive a $500 cash prize and will be unveiled at a LIFF 3-2-1 Action Kick-Off Celebration to be held the evening of Friday, August 14 at the Louisville Visual Art Association. The 2009 festival will take place October 1 – 4 in downtown Louisville locations including The Kentucky Center, Muhammad Ali Center and Galt House Hotel; and, will market Louisville as a great place to hold a first class film festival at which to see movies, to attend seminars and parties, and to attract filmmakers and industry executives from around the world. Artists may incorporate these themes or other concepts celebrating independent film production in their original art works.
The winning entry will be selected by a panel of judges including Allan Cowen, President and CEO of the Fund for the Arts, Ken VonRoenn, President of Glassworks, and Shannon Westerman, Executive Director of the Louisville Visual Art Association. Entries are due close of business day Friday, July 24 at 4:00 p.m. The poster, and/or images derived from the original artwork, will be used for resale and promotional purposes and will be available for purchase at festival events and on the louisvillefilm.com web site. Proceeds from the sale of posters and associated merchandise will be used to help underwrite LFAI education initiatives with Jefferson County Public Schools and the Gheens Foundation in establishing film arts departments in the JCPS High School Career Magnet Program.
Publishers Printing of Shepherdsville, Kentucky is generously donating printing services for the poster.
The winning entry will become the property of Louisville Film Arts Institute, Inc. Artists should use these guidelines in submitting art work:
• The competition is open to all deign mediums including original paintings or drawings, printmaking, photography, mixed media, computer graphics, etc.
• The finished poster size should be no larger than 22” X 34” and should allow a 2” bleed at the bottom for the addition of sponsor logos. Vertical or horizontal layout will be dictated by artist’s design.
• Entries do not have to be 100% of finished poster size but should not be less than 81/2” X 11” and, if reduced, proportionate to actual dimensions. Designs should be depicted in the color(s) representative of the finished, printed poster. If submitting original artwork (such as a painting), an overlay or separate color composite must show how the text will appear with the artwork. If submitting computer-generated composite containing scanned images of original artwork, submission of the original art along with your design is encouraged.
• All entries need to be mounted on foam core or some other material. They do not need to be framed.
• Unacceptable entries include CD’s/disks, photos/slides, Xeroxed copies or rough sketches of an idea.
• The design must incorporate 1) Louisville’s International Festival of Films, 2) October 1 – 4, 2009 and 3) www.louisvillefilm.com
• Print medium will most likely be offset lithography (original to negative to plate to press), but will ultimately depend upon number and breakdown of colors. The artist will work directly with the printer to ensure the integrity of the finished product.
• An artist may submit more than one entry but a separate entry form must be submitted for each design. Entry forms are available at www.louisvillefilm.com. The artists name and contact information should also be written on the back of the mounted foam board.
• Deadline for entry is 4:00 p.m. Friday, July 24, 2009.
• Entries may be delivered by hand to the LFAI office located in ArtSpace, 323 West Broadway St., Suite 501, Louisville, KY, 40202 Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
• If mailed or shipped, entries must be postmarked by July 24, 2009 and received in the LFAI office by 4:00 p.m. Monday, July 27. LFAI does not accept responsibility for late or lost entries.
• Entries not selected as the winning poster may be picked up from the LFAI office after August 16 during normal business hours. Posters will be returned to artists by mail if a pre-stamped, pre-addressed return package is sent with original artwork.
For more information on Louisville Film Arts Institute and Louisville’s International Festival of Films, please visit the www.lfaii.org and www.louisvillefilm.com websites. For additional information on the LIFF Poster Contest, contact Nancy Tafel at email@example.com or 593-1243.