Just because it’s summer doesn’t mean you have to put your bourbon away. There are plenty of ways to turn it into a refreshing summer cocktail. Here are a few of my favorites:
1. Have you tried the new Kentucky Slush from Evan Williams? I had it recently when I visited The Evan Williams Bourbon Experience and it was amazing. The good news is that you can get this premade at a liquor store!
2. Mint Juleps are popular at Derby time because it’s a refreshing and cold way to sip your bourbon. While it is difficult (but not impossible) to find a Mint Julep outside of the Derby season, you can always get one at The Derby Café at the Kentucky Derby Museum.
3. The Flea Off Market has a great bar with a variety of $5 cocktails. I recently had a bourbon ginger julep there that was lovely and refreshing. They may not always have this specific cocktail, but they are sure to always have a refreshing bourbon drink on the menu.
4. It doesn’t get more Kentucky than bourbon and Ale-8-1. This drink marries two of Kentucky’s native beverages in a mix that is crisp and refreshing. Ale-8-1 celebrated its 88th birthday on July 13, 2014!
6. The Emperor’s Independence was created by Louisville Mixologist Stephen Dennison. The mix of French cognac and bourbon are a special Independence Day salute to the partnership between France and the United States that secured our independence. It’s simple, symbolic and refreshing.
7. The cocktail menu at The Silver Dollar, like the food menu, changes seasonally. One of my favorites is the Kentucky Mule, which is a refreshing blend of Wild Turkey 101, house-made ginger syrup, and lime.
8. The Village Anchor offers a cocktail called a brown sugar Old Fashioned. Um, yum!
Summertime is a great time to get out and check out some new places. Do you have a favorite summertime bourbon cocktail? Tweet me @LouGirl502- I’d love to hear about it!
Photos Courtesy of Ale-8-1, The Flea Off Market, and Maggie Kimberl