Our nominee for greatest Irish ballad is “Mother Machree,” written in 1910 by Chauncey Olcott and Ernest R. Ball, with lyrics by Rida Johnson Young. If, after a couple of Bushmills, this tune fails to bring a tear to your eye, you are not a true son of Erin.
Subscribe to The Weekender, Louisville's weekly guide for where to go and what to do!
Most Read Stories
- What to Do in Louisville: Autumn Hit List 2015
- Five Donuts You Should Eat in Louisville Right Now
- SuperChefs is Louisville's Newest Hero
- St. James, Louder Than Life and IdeaFest: Where to Go and What to Do This Weekend in Louisville (Oct. 1-4)
- Lee’s Korean Restaurant Made Over
- Fontleroys Gastropub Coming to the Highlands
- What to Do in Louisville: Top Ten Fall Festivals
- CRAFT 2015 Brings Brews and Pizza Together For Cystic Fibrosis
- Rob Zombie Photo Gallery from Louder than Life 2015
- A Home? Run! High Demand in Louisville's Housing Market