In the days before the Civil War ended in 1865, a main track of the Underground Railroad ran through Louisville, where a substantial community of slaves who had won their freedom, along with sympathetic whites, helped Southern fugitives find Northern freedom.
Subscribe to The Weekender, Louisville's weekly guide for where to go and what to do!
Most Read Stories
- Best of Louisville 2015 Winners Announced
- Where to Go and What to Do Fourth of July Weekend in Louisville (July 2 - 5)
- America. The Diner. Seeks a New World
- Southside Quarry: the Best Place to Spend Your Louisville Summer
- Poorcastle Schedule Is Here
- Louisvillians and Marriage Equality
- ROMP In Review: Four Days of Bluegrass
- 2013 Louisville Area Child Support Arrears List (Deadbeat Parents)
- Louisville Loves Free Pizza!
- Return of the Waterfront's July Fourth Festivities: A Look at its Sponsors