In the days before the Civil War ended in 1865, a main track of the Underground Railroad ran through Louisville, where a substantial community of slaves who had won their freedom, along with sympathetic whites, helped Southern fugitives find Northern freedom.
Most Read Stories
- Derbylicious Piecaken! [Food & Dining]
- The St. Matthews Mall's Black Friday Fist Fight: Why, Louisville?
- What To Drink When You Can't Drink Pappy
- Dining Out for Thanksgiving 2015 in Louisville
- Where to Take Your Out-Of-Town Relatives During Their Holiday Visit
- How Nashville Hot Chicken Became A Louisville Favorite
- Where to Go and What to Do in Louisville Thanksgiving Weekend (November 26-29)
- Southern Indiana Fried Chicken: Gospel Bird Coming to New Albany
- Where to Go and What to Do in Louisville This Weekend (November 19-22)
- Vote in Louisville Magazine's City Poll