In the days before the Civil War ended in 1865, a main track of the Underground Railroad ran through Louisville, where a substantial community of slaves who had won their freedom, along with sympathetic whites, helped Southern fugitives find Northern freedom.
Subscribe to The Weekender, Louisville's weekly guide for where to go and what to do!
Most Read Stories
- Voting for Best of Louisville 2015 is Open!
- Closing Time for 60 West Bistro & Martini Bar
- Where to Go and What to Do This Weekend in Louisville (February 27 - March 1)
- The Ohio River Retains Its Top Spot as Most Polluted River in the Nation
- 2013 Louisville Area Child Support Arrears List (Deadbeat Parents)
- Get Your Game On: 5 Reasons to Attend the Louisville Arcade Expo
- "Roman Citizen" Premiere in Louisville Draws Crowd Despite Oscars
- Meet Louisville’s Southern Yogi
- Local Cafe Seeking Your Help Through Kickstarter
- Chef Maria's Bistro to Open in Old Louisville